HBCU Climate Change Consortium 2023
Registration begins: July 15 , 2023
Cost: $275 for general registration and $150 for students
The Deep South Center for Environmental Justice in collaboration with the Bullard Center for Environmental and Climate Justice at Texas Southern University will host the IN-PERSON Ninth Annual Historically Black College and University (HBCU) Climate Change Conference October 11 - 15, 2023.
The purpose of the conference is to bring together HBCU faculty and students, researchers, climate professionals and environmental justice and community residents impacted by toxic facilities and severe weather events related to climate change in order to bridge the gap between theory and the experiential realities of climate change.
The conference will address issues related to climate justice, adaptation, community resilience, global climate issues, and other major climate change topics (i.e. transportation, energy sources, carbon emissions, green jobs/green economy, just transition, and community economic development).
Another goal of the conference is to engage high school students in the activities of the conference. High school students will be introduced to climate science, within the context of how their daily life activities affect climate. The sessions will be interactive, including computer-simulated games. COVID19 VACCINATION IS PREFERED FOR ALL CONFERENCE PARTICIPANTS.
Student Abstract Submissions:
Student abstracts are being accepted for oral and poster presentations. Students are encouraged to present an abstract that has been conducted in the following subject areas:
- Climate Change/Climate Justice
- Adaptation and Mitigation
- Community Resilience
- Green Jobs, Green Economy
- Energy Sources
- Carbon Emissions, Cap and Trade
- Just Transition, Just Sustainability
- Campus Sustainability
- Global dimensions of climate change
- Sea Level Rise
- Food Security
- Faith-based Advocacy and Activism
- Theologics of Resistance
- Abstracts will be accepted via electronic form only
- Abstracts will not be processed for review if they are not submitted using the online form
- Abstracts that do not conform to official guidelines will not be accepted
- Deadline: Sept 1, 2023