Senior Advisor for Coastal Inundation and Resilience Science and Services
Location: Silver Spring, MD
The Senior Advisor for the Coastal Inundation and Resilience Science and Services provides strategic advice to the National Ocean Service focusing communities that live near on coastal and oceans that are vulnerable to disasters while also facing many other powerful long-term environmental changes. The Senior Advisor is the principal scientific subject matter expert on coastal inundation science, development, and policy to the NOS and the NOAA climate efforts, and has the overall responsibility for ensuring all NOAA coastal inundation related efforts are based on sound science principles, as well as connect with solid resource management and planning techniques. The Senior Advisor provides navigation, observation, positioning, resource management, decision support, technical assistance, and training to help communities identify risks and vulnerabilities to apply sustainable solutions that increase resilience to the impacts of climate change, extreme weather, coastal inundation, oil and chemical spills, and other hazards and environmental stressors.
The Senior Advisor will:
1. Consult with research and development program managers, and outreach and educational professions, to advocate for improved coastal inundation services and ensure that proposed new services have adequate scientific bases to sustain science growth.
2. Champion efforts to improve coastal inundation research science, and its application for resilience and adaptation planning for communities and policy-setting for agencies.
3. Oversee transition of physical and social science techniques into operations to improve coastal inundation prediction, projections and eventually leading to forecasting tools and techniques, and their use and application for decision-making.
4. Serve as a matter subject expert and liaison to inter-agency committees, academia, and private industry on coastal inundation and resilience research and science matters to advocate for NOAA research programs.
5. Provide guidance for the development and implementation of improved decision-assistance and forcast preparation tools.
6. Coordinate efforts of NOAA and the interagency community, on coastal inundation scientific operations to develop integrated plans for advancing science operations to meet critical national needs for community resilience and adaptation planning.
7. Evaluate NOAA coastal inundation products and services and provide recommendations for improvement and application for decision-makers at all levels.
8. Monitor the progress of key internal science and service development and cutting-edge external science research to ensure efficient program implementation.