Climate Change Adaptation Checklist for Climate Smart Projects: A Tool for Natural Resource Agencies
Climate change has implications for both the effectiveness and hazard risk potential of many projects and activities undertaken or reviewed by natural resource management agencies. Failing to evaluate the potential vulnerability of a project or action prior to implementation or approval can lead to missed opportunities to improve design, optimize siting or otherwise reduce risk.
This tool is designed to help you determine if given climate change your project will continue to deliver intended benefits.
The Checklist supports your ability to:
- Explicitly evaluate the implications of future conditions on project function, longevity and impact
- Build climate consideration directly into funding, permitting and planning phases
- Reduce liabilities or avoid actions that will be ineffective under future conditions
Step 1: Climate Quick Check
- Identify how the project may be impacted by climate change over its lifetime by considering a range of indicators
Step 2: Evaluation of Climate Impact on a Project
- Explore potential of climate risk factors by answering specific questions and considering relevant, available data
Step 3: Synopsis & Adaptation Options
- For each identified vulnerability in Step 2, develop adaptation options to avoid, minimize or mitigate future negative impacts, while delivering intended benefits. Use adaptation support resources to find potential options.
Watch the Webinar
In this webinar, EcoAdapt along with partners at California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Michigan Department of Natural Resources, and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife discuss a Climate Change Adaptation Checklist for Climate Smart Projects to aid natural resource managers in evaluating potential climate vulnerabilities of a project or management action prior to implementation, and to improve design, optimize siting, and reduce risk to help a project deliver expected benefits under future climate conditions. Watch it here.