Hundreds of US mayors have signaled their intent to assume a leadership role in combating climate change following President Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord. The challenge now for these local leaders is to go beyond the pledge and implement substantial climate action. STAR Communities developed the Climate Change Guide with support from local leaders and members of its technical and governance committees. The Guide draws upon strategies and best practices in the STAR Community Rating System and the experiences of over 60 STAR-certified communities.
Communities can use the Climate Change Guide to support new climate action planning, expand existing efforts, implement climate pledges, and advocate for new efforts. Specifically, it supports communities to:
- Make informed and supported climate action decisions;
- Sort through and prioritize the many potential climate action strategies and actions;
- Identify and categorize community systems for climate efforts;
- Align climate efforts to existing priority areas;
- Build support and develop narratives that highlight climate action’s multiple co-benefits; and
- Lay out a plan for comprehensive climate action.
Local goverment, urban planners