Air Quality & Climate Change Principal Consultant (Mid-Senior Level)
SF Bay Area
ERM seeks a motivated Air Quality & Climate Change Principal Consultant, with significant consulting experience and client relationships, to grow our air quality services business in Northern California. This is a partner-track opportunity for a Principal-level professional looking to further advance their career with a global environmental leader, and to make a significant impact in successfully implementing ERM's global strategy.
ERM’s Air Quality & Climate Change service area is a recognized leader in the marketplace. Our technical community pursues and wins highly innovative engagements for the most interesting clients, providing the full breadth of air quality and climate change services. With annual global sales in excess of $50 million, ERM’s Air Quality & Climate Change service area is one of the largest among its peers in our industry and is steadily growing at a double-digit pace. In North America alone, ERM has more than 300 dedicated air quality and climate change professionals assisting clients with projects as diverse as developing strategic approaches at the corporate level to upcoming regulatory drivers, to leading complex capital projects through the many hurdles associated with the NSR permitting program.
ERM is structured to encourage collaboration and networking among regional offices, providing opportunities to collaborate with ERM’s national air quality technical team to share expertise and consulting opportunities. Our many leaders proactively work together to build strategies and campaigns around key business drivers for our clients, with the primary focus of finding and delivering high-profile rewarding projects and building our business, whether it be for GHG reporting regulations, new air dispersion modeling challenges, new MACT and NSPS standards, energy management, or climate change adaptation.
As a senior leader on this team, you will be fully accountable for successfully selling and consulting on air quality and climate change projects to build a sustainable business locally, while networking with ERM's global Air Quality & Climate Change technical team to share best practices across the industry. The ideal candidate will be well connected in the regulatory and air permitting community and have established relationships with Oil & Gas, Manufacturing, Technology, or Chemical companies to expand our corporate and facility-level compliance services in the sector of the candidate’s expertise in California.
- Develop and implement strategic market/business plan, provide leadership, and deliver financial results to expand ERM's air quality service area and client base, particularly in the Oil & Gas, Manufacturing, Technology, or Chemical sectors. Serve as a key member of the “core” technical team to drive double-digit profitable growth of ERM’s air quality services business across North America.
- Serve as a Senior Program Director for strategic air permits and compliance programs for a variety of industrial clients with complex technical/regulatory issues. Work closely with clients and develop strong relationships to understand specific processes and develop a permitting and compliance strategy to help clients maintain maximum operating flexibility. Achieve client’s expectations for scope, budget, schedule, and quality.
- As a leader, be recognized within the NorCal footprint by peers and local agencies for your air quality expertise. Internally, have passion for leading team members and managing a growing and successful business line.
- As a “seller/doer,” contribute to expanding ERM’s air consulting services annually. Identify and develop new opportunities, prepare effective technical proposals, and take active leadership role in the development of new business with new and existing clients. Develop and expand client relationships that generate repeat business.
- Capitalize on existing client relationships to expand ERM’s profile and market share in the regional Air Quality & Climate Change market and other service-line offerings through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development.
- Mentor junior and mid-level staff in the proper planning and execution of air quality projects, and in directing or conducting independent technical reviews of deliverable work products.
- Support the general growth and development of ERM’s global air quality and climate change services. Collaborate with other ERM global practitioners to execute air quality projects, including participating on teams comprised of Air Quality & Climate Change professionals from multiple offices around the global organization.
- Advanced or subject matter expertise in air permitting; other compliance-related areas a plus (e.g., air dispersion modeling, storm water, SPCC, RMP/PSM, CEQA permitting, multi-media auditing, etc.).
- Familiarity with and stack testing and ambient air measurement a plus.
- Develop a working understanding of ERM’s other consulting service areas and actively support cross-selling other services to existing clients.
- Experience and confidence to lead and grow business in a dynamic market environment.
- Minimum of BS in engineering (chemical, mechanical, environmental) or related discipline;
- Certification in field; P.E., CSP, CHMM, or similar registration desired.
- 15+ years of solid air quality consulting experience, with a high degree of technical competence in Title V, PSD, NSR, BACT, and MACT.
- In-depth understanding of the Oil & Gas, Manufacturing, Technology, or Chemical industry in California and the companies operating in this sector, including existing relationships that can be leveraged into new business
- Consistent "seller/doer" track record, including successfully winning large and strategic projects.
- An established reputation in the local marketplace and recognized technical expertise in one of ERM’s existing service offerings, which include but are not limited to air quality and climate change, EHS compliance assurance, process safety, sustainability, and environmental permitting
- Demonstrated leadership ability to build, coach, and mentor collaborative teams.
- Excellent communication (written/verbal), strategic thinking, negotiation, presentation, and “people” skills.
- Positive outlook, collaborative, and driven by the success of ERM as a global company.
Who We Are:
As the world’s leading sustainability consulting firm, ERM is uniquely positioned to contribute to the environment and society through the expertise and energy of our employees worldwide. Sustainability is what we do, and is at the heart of both our service offerings and how we operate our business. ERM and our partners are driven by a dynamic vision: By 2021 we will be the clear leader in our chosen markets, we will double in value and we will deliver on our promises to our clients, our people and our investors. For our people, our vision means attracting, inspiring, developing and rewarding our people to work with the best clients and on the biggest challenges, thus creating valuable careers. We achieve our vision in a sustainable manner by maintaining and living our ERM values that include Accountability, Caring for our People, Client Focus, Collaboration, Empowerment, and Transparency.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!