ARCUS Early Career Conference Funding Award
The Arctic Research Consortium of the US (ARCUS) Early Career Conference Funding Award supports US-based, early career researchers and students to participate in meetings and events relevant to Arctic research, since 2020. The first three award cycles during 2020–early 2022 supported virtual conference attendance due to COVID-19 related travel restrictions. The current fall 2022 funding awards will cover registration fees, session/abstract submission costs, travel, and other relevant expenses related to in-person conference attendance for one US-based conference or event scheduled to take place during the period of 15 October 2022 – 1 April 2023. Funding for these awards is made possible through the National Science Foundation’s Arctic Sciences Section (PLR #1928794).
This award also aims to specifically increase participation of early career, underrepresented minorities (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color; BIPOC) in Arctic research. Preference will be given to:
- BIPOC applicants
- New applicants to the ARCUS Early Career Conference Funding Award (previous awardees are eligible, however)
- Applicants who are new to Arctic research and/or have never had the opportunity to attend an Arctic-themed conference or meeting. This award is for conference attendance and participation—submitting an abstract will be optional. Prior experience in Arctic research is not required. In the event of COVID-19 related travel complications, ARCUS will work with each awardee individually to accommodate necessary schedule or travel changes.
- Applicants should be early-career, defined for this award as a student (undergraduate or graduate) or within six years of terminal degree
- US-based (US citizenship not required)
- Intended conference must be held in the US, have Arctic-relevant sessions/themes (of any discipline), and occur before 1 April 2023
- Eligible expenses include airfare, per diem, lodging, conference registration, abstract/session submission fees, and other relevant expenses upon approval, which will be either paid directly or reimbursed by ARCUS
- Awardees will complete a brief follow-up survey about their experience
The deadline for submitting an award application will be 5:00 p.m. Alaska time, Friday, 16 September 2022. Award notifications are anticipated to be announced during the week of 3 October 2022.