Associate Policy Director, California Climate and Agriculture Network (CalCAN)
CalCAN is hiring an Associate Policy Director to join our team. In this role, you will develop, advocate for, and evaluate policies and programs that advance agricultural solutions to climate change. You will collaborate with a network of innovative farmers and ranchers, scientists, technical assistance providers, and advocates to make positive change to our food system.
You love learning the nuances of farming, policies, and politics. You enjoy building relationships and educating policymakers about the needs and innovations of small, mid-scale, and historically underserved farmers and ranchers. You share a vision of using policy to rapidly scale up agricultural management approaches that protect the climate and land for generations, restore clean air and water, regenerate biodiversity, and produce abundant food and fiber. You are adaptive and persistent in pursuing this vision, like the farmers and ranchers you support.
- Lead the development and implementation of policy initiatives to advance 2-3 of CalCAN’s climate solutions, working in collaboration with CalCAN’s coalition members and network of partners who serve as advisors, models and advocates
- Build relationships with relevant legislative and agency staff and educate them about CalCAN priorities by organizing and participating in meetings, hearings and briefings
- Analyze and track multiple bills, proposed regulations, and state programs related to climate and agriculture
- Draft talking points, comment letters, bill position letters, testimony, legislation, blogs, reports, and other advocacy materials
- Represent CalCAN in the state legislature, state agencies, advocacy coalitions, conferences, farm tours, and advocacy forums
- Assist with planning and implementing legislative briefings, advocacy days, and advocacy-related events
- Continually learn about on-the-ground agricultural and climate innovations and the ever-evolving political context in which we work
- Participate in weekly all-staff meetings and social justice trainings and discussions
- Collaborate on organizing coalition and advisory council meetings and annual retreats
- Contribute to a collaborative organizational culture that attracts, engages, motivates, and retains a diverse, highly qualified and effective team and network
- Play a constructive leadership role in CalCAN’s growth and development, and the continual honing of the organization’s strategies and framing
- Ability to translate complex issues into clear, concise, and compelling written and verbal communications for agricultural and policy audiences
- Experience facilitating effective meetings with people with diverse perspectives to build consensus and mobilize action
- Experience with advocacy, including lobbying elected officials and their staff, to influence policies in local, state, or federal government
- Ability to work in an environment where priorities may shift quickly due to changing conditions
- Commitment to CalCAN’s vision and guiding principles
Upload your resume and a writing sample in our Associate Policy Director application form. The form requires sign-in to a google account; if you are unable to access the application form, please email your resume and a writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: “Associate Policy Director application - [Your Name].”
We are looking for a writing sample that demonstrates your ability to translate complex issues into clear, concise, and compelling communications.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interviews start the week of October 2, 2023.