Attorney, Asia-focus - Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW)
The Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW) is accepting applications for an experienced attorney to join our growing team. This is an exciting opportunity to work with leading public interest lawyers across Asia to protect the rights of communities and the environment. ELAW collaborates with lawyers representing local communities and NGOs to build a sustainable, just future. ELAW's global partners are bringing innovative legal actions challenging the status quo and addressing complex environmental problems.
ELAW provides legal and scientific expertise and other support to public interest lawyers. ELAW collaborates with a global community of advocates who offer each other solidarity, mutual assistance and inspiration. ELAW team members provide support, connect partners to each other and to other experts, and collaborate with them to enforce environmental laws and pursue environmental justice worldwide.
ELAW’s law team collaborates with lawyers protecting communities and the environment by providing high-quality legal support to their litigation and advocacy. ELAW does not litigate directly. ELAW attorneys have opportunities to build specialized expertise while supporting others on the team to do the same. We value a team culture of trust, open communication, and collaboration that draws from our diverse perspectives and experiences.
Our team works together to provide legal support to our partners across the globe. Currently, we are looking to add an attorney with experience working in Asia. The best candidate will bring relevant expertise such as protecting communities from unsustainable fossil fuel projects, supporting a just energy transition, or protecting biodiversity or the climate.
Responsibilities and Scope of Position:
- Legal research and analysis to support lawyers defending communities and the environment across Asia;
- Providing support to colleagues working with lawyers in other regions; Independently draft pleadings and court submissions, including “friend of the court” briefs;
- Build and foster relationships with international partners and allies;
- Organize and participate in workshops and other remote/in-person meetings to share information and develop advocacy strategies;
- Supervise legal interns;
- Review work by law team colleagues; and
- Collaborate with ELAW colleagues on communications, development, and other activities that support the organization, our partners, and allies.
Desired Qualifications and Competencies:
- Experience practicing law in the Asian region;
- Expertise in biodiversity law, climate law, or fossil fuel projects;
- Professional fluency in other Asian languages;
- Experience working internationally;
- Ability to work well with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and orientations;
- Initiative to stay attuned to and research emerging issues of law and advocacy;
- Ability to contribute to our team culture by sharing perspectives, seeking and providing feedback, and supporting others;
- Ability and willingness to use technology platforms that enable virtual collaboration;
- Open to international travel;
- Strong editing skills; and
- Experience supervising legal interns or other staff.