Climate Program Special Projects Manager
San Antonio, TX
Under administrative direction, is responsible for managing and coordinating the development and implementation of the City of San Antonio's climate program, as well as complex administrative projects or activities that require a high degree of specialized knowledge. Conducts research, provides data, makes recommendations, and implements solutions to achieve project goals and objectives. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
This position is an "unclassified" position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages and coordinates projects and activities between various divisions, City departments, public agencies, and/or private sector representatives related to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Manage the development and implementation of the city's first Climate Action and Adaptation Plan, including community engagement, establishing carbon footprint reduction targets and strategies, and measuring and reporting progress.
- Maintains community relationships and fosters community-wide initiatives and cooperative partnerships to advance and promote climate protection and sustainability; communicate the financial and environmental benefits of implementing best practices; and achieve measurable progress on reducing the community's and city governments' carbon footprint.
- Assist the Chief Sustainability Officer in integrating climate initiatives into broader sustainability goals and help the city develop as a national climate and sustainability leader.
- Track international, federal, and state policies, trends, funding opportunities related to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Seeks and evaluates information from a variety of sources; provides specialized reports as requested by management.
- Oversees coordination between divisions/departments throughout duration of projects.
- Prepares and delivers presentations.
- Coordinates and prepares reports and correspondence in response to requests for information from City Manager's Office and Mayor & Council Offices; may also prepare City Council agenda material such as ordinances, council memos, etc.
- Suggests and implements management solutions to address new or ongoing problems within department or division.
- May assist in preparing and monitoring of annual departmental or divisional budget.
- Serves as departmental/divisional representative at conferences and meetings.
- May supervise, train, and evaluate staff.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.