Climate Programs Manager, Second Nature
This is an exciting opportunity to serve in a new role to support institutions leading higher education climate action. The Climate Programs Manager with a focus on member engagement works to directly support Second Nature’s Climate Leadership Network (CLN) and University Climate Change Coalition (UC3). This individual will serve as a node of connection that drives member action, connection, and retention through engagement. This role will grow and maintain relationships through direct contact, small group facilitation, and network connection. This position will report to Bridget Flynn, Senior Manager of Climate Programs.
Member Engagement and Experience
- Building, strengthening, and maintaining relationships with Second Nature’s member institutions (including signatories to the Presidents’ Climate Leadership Commitments, affiliate members, and members of the UC3) to inform how Second Nature can best serve campuses and accelerate campus climate action across the higher education sector
- Proactively identifying potential member needs and suggesting effective solutions to address them.
- Planning, coordinating, and/or delivering customized presentations or webinars that support members.
- Representing Second Nature periodically at events, gatherings, and conferences.
- Maintaining solid records of contacts and updates in Salesforce.
- Supporting Second Nature’s commitment to ensuring equitable experiences, strengthening inclusion acumen, and promoting a culture of inclusivity, belonging, and justice.
UC3 Administrative Management and Support
- Administering regular meetings with University Climate Change Coalition members including the UC3 Steering Committee, UC3 Liaisons, ad hoc UC3 Working Groups
- Managing the UC3 Liaison Working Group
- Supporting UC3 members in knowledge-sharing activities such as the Higher Education Climate Leadership Summit, webinars, or other partner events
Volunteer Management and Facilitation
- Serve as support for the Academics for Climate Advocacy Working Group which is comprised of academics that meet monthly.
Bachelor’s degree in sustainability, environmental science or organization management + at least 2 years’ member engagement, climate/sustainability, or higher education staff experience or 3 years’ professional experience in relationship management/account management, climate/sustainability, or mission-aligned non-profit. The successful candidate will be comfortable with email, phone, and video conferencing, will have regular access to the internet and appropriate bandwidth, and an orientation towards customer service. Strong organization skills through demonstrated ability to handle multiple relationships and projects simultaneously. Ability to communicate in English with solid written and verbal communication.
- Interest and commitment to Second Nature’s mission of accelerating climate action in and through higher education.
- Experience working on climate/sustainability projects/programs at a college/university.
- Demonstrated understanding of how different types of higher education institutions are attempting to take climate action.
- Group facilitation experience.
- Curiosity and strong desire to learn from others through active listening and follow-through appropriately with the information gathered (create new resources, guide members to a resource, etc.).
- Knack for translating technical information into broadly accessible knowledge.
- Experience with G Suite and Salesforce or a similar database, project management, and collaboration tools.
- Skilled at creating and delivering engaging presentations in person and virtually.
- Sales experience may be useful. Outreach experience is a plus.
Studies have shown that women, people of color, and other under-represented groups are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. Second Nature will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
- Submit a cover letter and resume for consideration
- Applications will be accepted until September 30, 2023
Second Nature is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, Second Nature will take the steps to assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the position, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.