Climate Tech Director, SecondMuse
This is a full-time position located in the US East Coast: NYC. This person should be willing to accommodate hours across multiple US time zones.
SecondMuse champions and supports the growth of future economies by designing and leading programs that involve workshops, events, mentorship networks, curriculum, and other efforts to build and grow community ecosystems. At the core of our community-sourced approach is a dedication to creating and fostering cohesive narratives and deep relationships throughout the ecosystem. We have organized innovation programs in over 100 countries and 250 cities, sourcing solutions from every corner of the world. Each program has challenged our teams to develop targeted approaches to find, and then support, visionary leaders with a diverse range of experiences, motivations and cultures. We invite you to help build with us--leverage our proven strategies to build strong communities and influence local, regional and global networks, and add your own contribution to our growing team and portfolio of programs.
We are looking for a full-time Director to lead the delivery and strategic growth of our For Climate Tech programs along with other NYC-based opportunities. The Director will oversee two flagship startup accelerator programs, the Scale For ClimateTech program which has been running since 2018 and served 69 entrepreneurs across four cohorts and Venture For ClimateTech which has been running since 2020 reaching 40 entrepreneurs across three cohorts. This role is responsible for managing a team of three full time employees and oversight for contractors and implementation partners. The Director will be responsible for partnership development and stewardship across delivery partners, the Advisory Board, strategic collaborators and our clients who include government, philanthropic and corporate entities. The Director should be NYC-based, bring a dynamic climate perspective and network, and / or be knowledgeable and networked in the startup and manufacturing sector. The Director will work closely with the Senior Vice President of North America and program advisors to build and execute a long term strategy for this body of work, and will work closely with the SecondMuse Growth team to secure adjacent and complementary opportunities to expand our current program model along with scaling the programs to new locations and sectors.
The Director of For Climate Tech will:
- Oversee excellence in delivery including team health and productivity, program implementation, operations and impact measurement of core programs and contracts. Examples of implementation activities include:
- Recruit and manage advisory boards and other critical stakeholders
- Provide and strengthen innovator support services
- Partner and technical expert recruitment and management
- Manage a team of Program Managers and Associates implementing core Climate Tech programs aligning on purpose, impact, creating a culture of collaboration and care while identifying and building efficiencies across programs.
- Collaborate closely with the Growth team to develop and execute a sponsorship and fundraising strategy that aligns with and satisfies cost share requirements for each program.
- Identify and steward new opportunities and partnerships that enable the expansion and scale of these programs in terms of number of participants positively impacted, geographies and sectors engaged.
- Invest in and grow trust and relationship with key stakeholders including advisors, funders, participants, mentors and strategic partners.
- Oversee client relationships including their satisfaction with the work and team along with delivering on contract commitments on time and within budget. Working closely with the VP of Consulting and Client Services.
- Collaborate and lead around market positioning, external comms and positioning with internal MarComm team and Studio to ensure market understanding and buy-in to the purpose and mission of the For Climate Tech program suite.
- Work closely with the Senior Vice President of North America to define and execute the 3 to 5 year strategy for this suite of programs.
- At least 6+ years experience working with startups, in an incubator, accelerator, design, innovation or management consulting firm, in a manufacturing or hardware related field and/or equivalent educational and professional background
- A strong network and perspective on climate, startups, manufacturing and / or New York entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Extensive experience building and managing high performing teams
- Extensive experience building strong relationships with government, corporates and philanthropic organizations and individuals critical to the work
- Ability to think strategically along with ability to execute
- Strong program and client management experience
- Effective and strategic communication capabilities both internally and externally
- Entrepreneurial mindset; excited about solving problems including the climate crisis
- Thought leadership and public speaking skills
- Experience with human centered design and systems thinking
- Highly relational with understanding and commitment to building a culture of trust and support