Finance Manager - Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW)
Post Date: 3/09/2023
Opportunity Type: Job
Organization/Grantor: Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW)
Position/Title/Fund: Finance Manager - Full-time
Location: Eugene, Oregon
ELAW seeks a motivated financial professional to manage the accounting and financial matters of the organization. The Finance Manager will have demonstrated ability to maintain, adapt and improve finance functions, systems and processes, and an interest in applying that ability in support of ELAW's mission. The Finance Manager will support ELAW's senior leadership to track revenues, expenses, and assets, and efficiently communicate financial information to supporters as needed. The Finance Manager will report to the Associate Director and support the work of the Finance and Personnel Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Prepares financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, grant budgets, variance reports by fund and for the organization.
- Ensures cash flow is compatible with operational needs, by overseeing accounting and internal control activities. Reports financial status, analyzes variances, and forecasts revenue and expenses.
- Allocates expenses to specific (grant) funds, monthly.
- Continually refines and improves financial systems.
- Works closely with the Associate Director and Bookkeeper on external financial audits.
- Innovates systems improvements.
- Works with senior management to develop the annual operating budget, and any grant, project, and program budgets. Compares budgeted expenses to actual expenses; makes necessary adjustments to future projections and budgets.
- Tracks foundation and government financial commitments and deadlines.
- Develops budgets and reports for foundation and government supporters.
- Responsible for financial risk management and insurance programs. Assesses risk exposure and potential liability in financial matters and works with senior management to develop sound risk control measures.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with bank and financial institution key contacts.
- Works with senior management to analyze and improve benefits for employees.
- Works with senior management to ensure compliance with fiduciary responsibilities.
- Works with senior management to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local financial regulations. Updates knowledge by keeping abreast of new regulations, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and maintaining personal networks.
- Informs organizational development strategies with financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations.
- Experience managing finances within a nonprofit operating internationally with varied funding sources, including individual, government, and institutional funding, both restricted and unrestricted, is strongly preferred
- Good business judgment, great capacity for flexibility and adaptability to shifting priorities or needs, and sound decision-making abilities
- Experience with nonprofit finance operations, including budget management, financial reporting, and scenario planning, and experience managing grants and contracts
- Deep knowledge and experience in nonprofits in the US and globally
- Strong computer skills and technology literacy, including database management, and financial modeling and reporting systems
- Excellent business acumen with the ability to comprehend programmatic activities
- Commitment to ELAW’s mission and vision, as well as the values and practice of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA), with a concentration/major in Accounting; CPA and/or MBA or related degree preferred, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of fund accounting practices and software required, experience with MIP Nonprofit Accounting preferred
- Ability to communicate financial concepts and principles effectively.