Impact & Learning Manager - The Climate Breakthrough Project
The Climate Breakthrough Project is hiring an Impact & Learning Manager. The Climate Breakthrough Project identifies extraordinary leaders and empowers them to launch bold new strategies that confront the growing climate crisis. Each year, we select several exceptional strategists from around the world to receive the Climate Breakthrough Award: a US$3 million-dollar grant and tailored support over three years to bring visionary strategies from idea to fruition.
The Impact & Learning Manager will design and oversee a monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) practice as innovative as the awardees we support. We view MEL as a tool that helps advance our awardees’ strategies more effectively; cultivates their aptitude to learn, adapt, and pivot when needed; and strengthens their ability to secure future funding commitments. Our overall vision is to foster a culture of creative, evidence-based learning that equips Climate Breakthrough Awardees to achieve significant and innovative advances in addressing climate change.
The Impact & Learning Manager will guide and oversee all aspects of our MEL efforts to ensure our focus is on high-impact opportunities to address the climate crisis. This role requires a creative and incisive evaluation strategist who is comfortable designing MEL frameworks for complex, non-linear strategies where emissions reduction is the ultimate goal, but tonnes can rarely be measured year over year.
Successful applicants will have most of the following qualifications:
- Considerable relevant, professional MEL experience in a philanthropic setting or similar
- Experience developing and implementing quantitative and qualitative tools that inform program strategy using a range of evaluation methods
- Experience with equitable evaluation a plus
- Excellent communication skills, with particular skill in turning numbers into narratives and narratives into numbers
- Proven track record of excellent relationship development and management, both in-person and remotely
- Knowledge and understanding of climate change and climate data, systems-level change, and social movements
- Ability to approach large-scale systemic change questions with creativity
- Sufficient data fluency to effectively oversee (or conduct) emissions reduction modeling for candidate and awardee strategies in-house or with external consultants
- A strong and relevant professional network to draw upon to support Climate Breakthrough and awardees’ MEL efforts
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness required, experience working internationally preferred
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity
- Written and verbal fluency in English required, fluency in another language desirable
- Once it is safe to do so, willingness and ability to travel internationally (between 1-4 times per year)
Compensation & Benefits
Ideally, the Impact & Learning Manager will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area, California, where most of our team resides. We are currently working remotely but will be establishing a physical office in 2022 (most likely in the Oakland/Berkley area). Once that office is established, we anticipate maintaining a flexible work from-home policy; however, locally based employees will be expected to be physically present as valuable for internal and external meetings. Climate Breakthrough is open to this role being based anywhere in the world, though candidates must be able to reliably work within 3 hours +/- of Pacific Time Zone normal working hours. The desired start date for this position is August 2021. Compensation and employment terms will depend on location. Climate Breakthrough can provide a California based, full-time candidate with benefits. If the successful candidate is based elsewhere, they will be hired as an independent consultant, without benefits, at 80-percent time. For a full-time, San Francisco Bay Area-based employee, the expected salary for this role is in the range of $115,000.
How to Apply
Please see the link below for the full job description, requirements and to apply.