Media Specialist-Climate Law (Los Angeles)
Los Angeles, CA
General position overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a dynamic, experienced, creative writer, editor and media relations expert for our work to fight climate change. The Center is a leading national voice in the climate movement. Our highly motivated Climate team uses cutting-edge legal, scientific and organizing strategies to tackle the climate crisis, including at the national and international levels, and in California, where we have become a major force in shaping the politics and policies surrounding fracking and oil and gas extraction.
The Media Specialist, who will be based in our Los Angeles office, will produce high-impact communications on every platform aimed at addressing these issues, including generating media stories, op-eds, editorials and creative media products that drive the national discussion about the climate crisis. This is a dynamic, high-level position that works closely with journalists and Center scientists and legal experts, occasionally acts as a spokesperson, and drives communications strategies on a daily basis.
This position reports directly to the communications director and works closely with the deputy communications director, climate program director, climate staff and communications staff.
- Lead and execute communication strategies that produce high-impact media coverage.
- Cultivate media relationships, pitch stories to reporters and editorial writers, and continually seek out new media opportunities.
- Write compelling press releases, white papers, story pitches, blog posts, fact sheets, op-eds, reports and other material.
- Heighten public knowledge of the threats of the climate crisis and highlight important solutions, especially protective actions needed by local, state and federal regulators.
- Work closely with communications and Climate staff to develop and execute long-term and near-term strategic communications plans.
- Manage, plan and help execute rapid response to breaking news.
- Organize and execute editorial drives.
- Track national and international news on the climate crisis and fossil fuel development and seek out strategic ways to become part of the news cycle.
- Use Twitter to track and respond to breaking news; help Center climate experts increase presence on Twitter.
- Act as a public spokesperson as needed.
- Provide media training to Climate staff, including scientists and legal experts, on conducting interviews, maintaining good media relations and media strategies.
- Integrate climate-related materials into other Center communications.
- Periodically read, research and synthesize scientific, regulatory and legal material for lay audiences.
- Expand and refine the Center's existing communications materials, including the website and regular publications.
- Occasionally provide educational and persuasive outreach to members of Congress and other decision makers.
- Assist with outreach to the Center's 1.6 million supporters and activists.
- Identify and act on opportunities, especially in the media, to drive and influence the nationwide discussion on the climate crisis.
Application process: Please apply online at https://biologicaldiversity.org/about/jobs by submitting a cover letter, resume, and 3-5 references with your application. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Benefits Package: Salary is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and experience.
- Paid generous medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match
- Generous time-off policies
- Relaxed work atmosphere
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.