Online Course: Urban Forested Watersheds Adaptation Planning and Practices
The Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science and USDA Northern Forests Climate Hub are offering the Forest Adaptation Planning and Practices training as an online, seven-week course for urban foresters and natural resource managers. This unique opportunity provides hands-on training in considering climate change information and identifying adaptation actions for urban forestry and natural resources management professionals. Participants will receive coaching and feedback on their own real-world climate adaptation project.
- The fall 2019 course will be held during Nov. 6 - Dec. 18, 2018
- Register online by October 9, 2018
Through this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify locally-important climate change impacts, challenges, and opportunities
- Develop specific actions to adapt urban ecosystems to changing conditions
- Use the Adaptation Workbook to create their own “climate-informed” projects
- Better communicate with stakeholders about key climate change impacts, challenges, and opportunities
- Access post-training support from NIACS staff during project planning and implementation
This training is designed for urban natural resource professionals working in urban areas in the Midwest and Northeast. This includes county and municipal arborists and park managers, community forestry and urban conservation non-profits, and private consultants working on public, tribal, and private lands. Professionals providing extension, service forestry, or technical assistance to urban and community foresters and private property owners are also encouraged to participate. Individuals as well as small teams can participate in the course. We are espcially interested in projects focused on watershed management in urban areas.
We ask participants to bring their own real-world projects. Example projects could include:
- a city or neighborhood urban forest master plan
- a restoration project in an urban natural area
- an urban development project that incorporates natural landscape features
Examples of Adaptation Demonstration projects that have used the Adaptation Workbook are online at www.forestadaptation.org/demos.
Dates Tuesdays November through December 2018. Exact time will be determined by course participant availability
Registration Sign up here!
Geographic Focus Information will focus on urban watersheds in the Midwest and Northeast, but applicants from other regions are welcome to apply.
CEUs This course is eligible for ISA and SAF continuing education units.