Recycling and Materials Management Intern
Recycling and Materials Management Intern
Cascadia Consulting Group, Inc.
Position located in Seattle, Washington
Cascadia Consulting Group is a women-owned, private environmental consulting firm with 28 years of experience developing and implementing innovative solutions to today’s environmental challenges. Cascadia works with public and private-sector clients to advance sustainability through recycling and materials management, climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy efficiency, pollution prevention, transportation demand management, and water and natural resources management. The Cascadia team brings both established expertise and creative thinking to research and analysis, strategic planning, program design and implementation, outreach, social marketing and behavior change, and evaluation roles. From our offices in Oakland (CA), Seattle (WA), and Charleston (SC), we serve clients across the country and abroad.
At Cascadia, we strive to create an equitable and inclusive environment at all levels of the organization. Having staff and partnerships that reflect the diverse communities we serve empowers us to shape innovative and effective solutions together with those most impacted by social, human, and environmental health challenges.
We are seeking an intern to support our recycling, organics, and waste reduction programs throughout North America. The type of work will vary but will frequently involve waste characterization studies and zero waste outreach. The ideal candidate will have an interest in recycling, organics, and waste reduction programs, as well as interest in quantitative analysis and problem-solving. Attention to detail and a commitment to team building are equally important qualities.
Specific duties of this role include:
- Collaboratively collecting and sorting (either visually or by hand-sort) desired waste, recyclable, and/or organic material as specified in a research study design.
- Writing emails, reports, memos, and other project-related documents.
- Performing data entry and collection both in the field and in the office using Cascadia’s cloud-based software and Excel.
- Conducting quantitative analyses in spreadsheets and databases.
- Conducting research (internet and telephone surveys) as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the client(s) or Cascadia.
This position requires a candidate with the following qualifications:
- Understanding of, and commitment to, Cascadia’s mission to “inspire and empower communities everywhere to protect and restore our world” in an equitable and inclusive way.
- Strong verbal and written communication, quantitative analysis, and problem-solving skills with the ability to adapt to diverse styles and perspectives, both in person and over the phone.
- Commitment to thinking critically about your own cultural lens; ability to provide equitable outreach, and communicate respectfully and effectively with people from a diversity of backgrounds.
- Basic to intermediate experience—and a willingness to expand skills—in producing documents with Microsoft Office 365 programs such as SharePoint, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Comfort working with technology, including tablets and computers.
- The ability to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines with an attention to detail in a dynamic work environment, including efficiently carrying out administrative tasks.
- Commitment to working both in teams and independently to advance common goals, think creatively, collaborate with others to resolve issues, and create high-quality work products.
- Willingness and desire to take on new challenges and responsibilities.
- Interest in solid waste management, composting, and/or recycling.
- Valid driver’s license and comfort with driving (personal vehicle not required).
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to stand or walk on uneven surfaces for up to 10 hours per day.
- Ability to work outdoors, including in inclement weather.
Other highly desirable attributes include:
- Spoken and written fluency in both English and another language, such as Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, and/or Russian.
Cascadia is dedicated to ensuring that our employees stay healthy during this time. While in the field, you will have access to and be expected to use personal protective equipment such as masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, wipes, and face shields. Please follow the following protocol surrounding the pandemic:
- Stay home while you are sick and avoid close contact with others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or a hand sanitizer with at least 75% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth/nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- If you are sick with symptoms of acute respiratory illness, inform your supervisor and HR and plan to stay home.
Demand for this work will vary throughout the summer. We anticipate that this role will offer 20-40 hours per week, with possible fluctuation in workload from week to week. There is potential that the role will require more than 20 hours per week in periods of high demand. Our goal is to determine the work schedule at least 1-2 weeks in advance so you can plan your schedule accordingly. It may have short periods of intensive work. The position will last 12-14 weeks, likely starting June 2021. There is potential for this internship to transition into a full-time role at Cascadia, depending on work availability and performance.
This is a temporary, hourly, non-exempt position. Cascadia will compensate this role with an hourly wage of $20/hour. Interns are not immediately eligible for health benefits.
How to Apply
Submit a compelling cover letter outlining your passion and qualifications for the position. Please also include a complete chronological resume. Send these materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Recycling and Materials Management Intern - [Your Name]” in the subject line. Your cover letter should address your ability to meet the criteria in the Required Qualifications section and highlight relevant experience, education, and why you are interested in this position. Please state where you learned about the position. This position is open until filled.