Regional Drought Information Systems Coordinator
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) and the National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) are seeking a full-time Regional Drought Information Systems Coordinator to work as part of an interdisciplinary team as the coordinator for selected regional NIDIS drought early warning information systems. NIDIS is a federal interagency and interstate effort to establish a national drought early warning information system in the U.S.
The successful applicant will work as part of a team to advance NIDIS through a number of strategies:
- Developing the leadership and networks to implement an integrated drought monitoring, forecasting, and planning and preparedness system at federal, state, and local levels
- Fostering and supporting a research environment focusing on risk assessment, planning, forecasting, monitoring, impact collection and analysis, and mitigation
- Contributing to a drought early warning information system to provide accurate, timely, and integrated information specific to regional needs and economic sectors
- Developing content and interactive components for the U.S. Drought Portal (drought.gov), as part of the drought early warning information system
- Providing a framework for public awareness and education about droughts and high precipitation events that ameliorate or terminate droughts