Senior Communications & Special Projects Specialist - Colorado State University
The Salazar Center for North American Conservation honors the legacy of former U.S. Secretary of Interior, U.S. Senator and Colorado Attorney General Ken Salazar. Announced in 2016, the Center began operation in 2018 and works to accelerate the pace and scale of equitable, innovative, and durable solutions for nature and all people by connecting diverse leaders, communities, and resources across the North American continent. Its efforts focus on both large landscapes and cities, with an emphasis on biodiversity protection, climate resilience and racial equity woven throughout. The Salazar Center is housed within the Office of Engagement and Extension (OEE) at Colorado State University, with offices in both Denver and Fort Collins, and its headquarters will be at the CSU Spur campus in Denver, starting in the fall of 2022.
The Senior Communications and Special Projects Specialist is a member of the Salazar Center team and reports to the Salazar Center Communications and Engagement Manager. This position oversees the Center’s communications program, with a focus on implementing strategic multimedia communications campaigns that increase audience engagement, overall awareness, and content accessibility.
The specialist creates and manages content for—and maintenance and growth of—a variety of communications platforms, including social media, web, email marketing, and media outreach. A key goal of this position is to help increase the Center’s communications strategies around reaching diverse audiences across North America. With support from the Communications and Engagement Manager, the specialist also develops and implements short- and long-term communication, branding, and fundraising strategies. The specialist will also provide project management support to the manager and the Center team as needed, such as scheduling, partner outreach, deadline and deliverable tracking, vendor coordination, and grant writing and reporting.
- Develop and implement multi-year communications strategy that supports the Center’s strategic vision.
- Support website redesign process, including content development and design template updates.
- Develop annual communications plan in alignment with brand strategy and target audiences.
- Develop multi-channel communications campaigns that communicate key Center programs and values and drive increase audience engagement.
- Work with OEE Communications team on all of the above, as appropriate.
- Develop and implement content plan aligned with overall communications and brand strategy.
- Create engaging social media posts and content for multiple channels including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn; manage timeline and scheduling of posts.
- Monitor channel engagement to increase connection to content; support channel reporting.
- Manage and maintain Center website, with focus on user accessibility and cross-channel integration.
- Gather, organize, and write content for informational emails and e-newsletters; manage and grow distribution lists.
- Provide project management support, such as scheduling, partner outreach, deadline and deliverable tracking, vendor coordination, and grant writing and reporting, across a variety of Center programs as needed.
- Provide logistical support for events and convenings.
- Support the Communications and Engagement Manager in management of Center operations and administration as needed.
- Completed bachelor’s degree in communication, English, journalism, public relations, marketing, or closely related field with at least five years of professional experience; OR completed bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, natural resources, or another discipline relevant to conservation with at least five years of professional communications-focused experience.
- Interest in and willingness to learn the issues and challenges associated with conservation efforts in North America, and the intersection of these issues with social equity and global environmental change and sustainability.
- Experience developing and delivering content for multiple audiences and across multiple platforms (including traditional, social, web, and email)..
- Understanding of and experience with social media strategy, planning, and reporting tools and metrics.
- Demonstrable understanding of demographic and professional audiences, commitment to include diverse voices in program prioritization and planning, and a commitment to developing and delivering both inclusive and targeted programming.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated proficiency in WordPress.
- Demonstrated working knowledge Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop).
- Demonstrated proficiency in MailChimp or similar email marketing platforms.
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple different projects simultaneously.
- Capacity to work well independently and as part of a team, often under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated initiative and creative problem-solving skills in performance of job responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience using a broad range of communications platforms to reach and engage a broad array of audiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive design and language.
- Understanding of the issues and challenges associated with conservation efforts in North America and global environmental change and sustainability, or a strong willingness to learn.
- Experience and proficiency in developing presentations.
- Experience with Google Analytics and internal reporting tools to collect and analyze relevant data, and to determine the effectiveness of communications and collateral in meeting the identified communication goals and objectives.
- Fundraising and/or grant writing experience.
- Fluency in Spanish.
All materials must be received by 11:59 PM Mountain Time on Sunday, July 31, 2022. Please submit the following:
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the required and preferred job qualifications.
- Transcript of college(s) course work showing degrees conferred. Please remove all references to birth date or social security number.
All applicants will be contacted approximately 15 working days after the deadline regarding their status. Next steps and interview dates will be shared to those moving forward. Four professional references will be requested of applicants that advance in the interview process.
For questions regarding the application process, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at (970) 491-5836 or email email@example.com. For questions regarding the job vacancy, responsibilities, and salary, please contact Catie Boehmer at firstname.lastname@example.org.