Frequently Asked Questions
It is an accepted fact that anthropogenic climate change is underway and most everything we do is vulnerable to its effects. Therefore, planning for this reality is an increasing priority at the government, management, and community levels. Although many organizations have started to incorporate climate change thinking into their work, adaptation strategies are being initiated in disparate fields at a multitude of levels. This is where CAKE comes in.
CAKE was created to help people understand climate adaptation efforts across sectors and disciplines. This prevents the “reinventing of wheels” that happens when people work in isolation, and spurs instead the type of coordinated, innovative action that can happen now—as opposed to in the future.
CAKE is a program of EcoAdapt and was designed as a forum to enrich, strengthen, and accelerate adaptation efforts. As such, CAKE makes it easy for users to share data, tools, best practices, policies, and lessons learned. The ultimate goal was to create a living knowledge exchange among a growing community of people concerned with climate change adaptation.
Will climate change impact your work or your goals? CAKE is for you!
Does your work provide valuable information on how climate change will impact systems, species, or people? CAKE is for you!
Do you need to incorporate climate change into your management strategies or policy? CAKE is for you!
If climate change will impact your work or goals in any way, then CAKE is for you. CAKE is an innovative community website for people working to manage the natural and built environment in the face of climate change. Whether you are actively engaged in adaptation or new to the concept and exploring ways to incorporate it into your work, CAKE will prove to be an invaluable resource.
People who are already part of the CAKE community include conservation biologists, fish and wildlife managers, restoration ecologists, resource and land managers, planners, professors and researchers, policy analysts, and environmental advocates.
Do you think climate change will impact your system or your work’s goals? Do you feel unsure about how to begin incorporating climate change into what you do? If your answer is yes, then CAKE is the place for you!
CAKE aims to:
- Support implementation of adaptation action by providing case studies of what others are doing across different geographies and ecosystems.
- Inform your efforts by pointing you to valuable information.
- Connect you with others that are actively thinking and working about incorporating climate change into their work.
- Build the field- we provide you with examples for what is currently going on so you, the CAKE community, will take these strategies forward and improve on them and then contribute them back to CAKE.
As many prepare for and begin to respond to the impacts of climate change they lack the capacity to start incorporating climate change into their work. CAKE aims to fill this capacity gap and prevent the feeling of inaction that plagues many managers. CAKE provides a plethora of information in an easy to use georeferenced database to help users find the information they need to move forward.
There are many ways to join the CAKE community!
- Create a profile and sign up for our monthly newsletter Slice of CAKE. See how to Register by watching our step-by-step tutorial!
- Submit your events (webinars, conferences, or workshops) to our Community calendar.
- Add your opportunities to our Community Board - from employment to funding opportunities - CAKE’s community hosts the best information around the field.
- Submit a case study or recommend a document or tool.
- Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook to stay up to date on what’s going on in the field.
- Tell your friends and colleagues about CAKE!
You can make a donation to support CAKE by clicking here. CAKE is a program of EcoAdapt and donations will be directly applied to the CAKE program budget, and support the general operations of the site including staff time, functionality, member relations, and content maintenance and expansion.
All donations are tax-deductible!