Frequently Asked Questions
It is an accepted fact that anthropogenic climate change is underway and most everything we do is vulnerable to its effects. Therefore, planning for this reality is an increasing priority at the government, management, and community levels. Although many organizations have started to incorporate climate change thinking into their work, adaptation strategies are being initiated in disparate fields at a multitude of levels. This is where CAKE comes in.
CAKE was created to help people understand climate adaptation efforts across sectors and disciplines. This prevents the “reinventing of wheels” that happens when people work in isolation, and spurs instead the type of coordinated, innovative action that can happen now—as opposed to in the future.
CAKE is a program of EcoAdapt and was designed as a forum to enrich, strengthen, and accelerate adaptation efforts. As such, CAKE makes it easy for users to share data, tools, best practices, policies, and lessons learned. The ultimate goal is to create a living knowledge exchange among a growing community of people concerned with climate change adaptation.
CAKE is an ever-growing knowledge platform that houses a comprehensive digital library of high-quality climate change adaptation resources. CAKE houses an extensive database of resources, including case studies, documents, and tools, and community events and opportunities like webinars, in-person conferences, jobs, and funding postings. We encourage you to explore our existing content and also contribute your own!
- Will climate change impact your work or goals?
- Does your work provide valuable information on how climate change will impact systems, species, or people?
- Do you need to incorporate climate change into your management strategies or policy?
If climate change will impact your work or goals in any way, then CAKE is for you! CAKE is an innovative community website for people working to manage the natural and built environment in the face of climate change. Whether you are actively engaged in adaptation or new to the concept and exploring ways to incorporate it into your work, CAKE will prove to be an invaluable resource.
People who are already part of the CAKE community include conservation biologists, fish and wildlife managers, restoration ecologists, resource and land managers, planners, professors and researchers, policy analysts, and environmental advocates.
Do you think climate change will impact your system or your work’s goals? Do you feel unsure about how to begin incorporating climate change into what you do? If your answer is yes, then CAKE is the place for you!
CAKE aims to:
- Support implementation of adaptation action by providing case studies of what others are doing across different geographies and ecosystems.
- Inform your efforts by pointing you to valuable information.
- Connect you with others that are actively thinking and working about incorporating climate change into their work.
- Build the field by providing you with examples for what is currently going on so the CAKE community can take these strategies forward, improve upon them, and contribute back to CAKE.
As many prepare for and begin to respond to the impacts of climate change they lack the capacity to start incorporating climate change into their work. CAKE aims to fill this capacity gap and prevent the feeling of inaction that plagues many managers. CAKE provides a plethora of information in an easy to use geo-referenced database to help users find the information they need to move forward.
Explore the many ways to engage with the CAKE community:
- Register to become a CAKE user and you'll receive our monthly newsletter, Slice of CAKE.
- Submit your adaptation related events (virtual and in-person) to our Calendar.
- Add your job and funding opportunities to our Community Board.
- Submit a case study or recommend a document or tool.
- Follow us on Twitter to stay up to date on what’s going on.
- Tell your friends and colleagues about CAKE!
As CAKE is a program of EcoAdapt, the CAKE team is made up of both EcoAdapt staff and independent contractors who keep the site running smoothly and constantly evolving to meet the needs of our users and the larger adaptation community.
All donations are tax-deductible and will be applied to the CAKE program budget to support the general operations of the site including staff time, functionality, member relations, and content maintenance and expansion.
You can register for CAKE below. Once you click "Create New Account," you will receive an automated email with a temporary password within 20 minutes. You can change your password after you’ve logged in. If you do not receive an automated email, please email email@example.com for support.
My Dashboard is an “at-a-glance” overview of your public profile on CAKE and your published content on CAKE, including resources, events, and opportunities.
To access your Dashboard, log in to your CAKE account by clicking the "Login" link in the upper right-hand corner of the website. Once you're signed in, you will see a drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner. Click your name and select “My Dashboard” to view your account, or "Edit My Account" to update your account information.
- If you know your password, sign in to your CAKE account. Find the drop-down menu in the upper right corner and select "Edit My Account". Enter your current password followed by a new password in the appropriate fields. Type the same password in the "Confirm Password" text box. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save". Now you'll log in with this new password.
- If you have forgotten your password, click "Login" in the upper right-hand corner. Click "Reset your password" and enter your CAKE account email address. If you do not receive an email with a new temporary password within 20 minutes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for support.