Adapting Stormwater Management for Coastal Floods
Posted on: 1/23/2023 - Updated on: 1/23/2023
Communities can use this website to determine how the flooding of today and tomorrow can affect their stormwater systems, and generate reports that can be used to:
- Display local information about the current and future flooding impacts
- Inform planning efforts
How to use this tool:
- UNDERSTAND: Learn more about coastal flooding and sea level rise
- Provides background information to help you understand the impacts of flooding and its implications for different roles. You may even want to share parts of this section with stakeholders.
- ASSESS: Calculate current and future coastal flood frequency and impacts
- With only three pieces of information, this tool will calculate fundamental information about the current flooding impacts along with prompts to communicate the big picture using easy-to-understand phrases.
- ANALYZE: Determine if, when, and how your stormwater system will be impacted
- Design scenarios for a part of your stormwater system and follow the steps to help paint the big picture for different combinations of coastal flooding. Check out examples to see how the methodology has worked in other cities.
- TAKE ACTION: Learn different ways to mitigate flooding issues
- Computing thresholds and impacts is the easy part, finding solutions and funding is not quite as straightforward. This section provides guidance on policy and on the ground actions and outlines some innovative funding approaches.
Type of Tool
Scale of Tool
Target Climate Changes and Impacts