Coastal Risk Screening Tool - Climate Central
Posted on: 5/23/2022 - Updated on: 5/23/2022
An interactive map showing areas threatened by sea level rise and coastal flooding. Combining the most advanced global model of coastal elevations with the latest projections for future flood levels.
- Flood maps are only as good as the elevation data they're founded on. We used machine learning to develop CoastalDEM®, a high-accuracy digital elevation model (DEM) for coastal areas, now updated to version 2.1.
- Climate change science is constantly evolving. Our maps are based on the latest sea-level projections, including those from the recently released Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and the 2022 Sea Level Rise Technical Report from an interagency U.S. government task force.
- Using CoastalDEM to model land elevation outside the U.S., our maps help screen for coastal flood risk in parts of the world where top-accuracy elevation data based on airborne lidar is unavailable.
- For mapping coastal flood risk within the U.S., we use high-resolution airborne lidar data collected by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- Time horizon: Explore sea level rise and coastal flood threats by decade.
- Water level: Choose a water level and see what areas may be impacted.
- Warming choices: Compare scenarios for long-term sea level rise based on different pollution pathways.
- Temperature: Explore how different warming scenarios could affect sea level rise in the coming decades.
- Elevation data: See how improved elevation data show a greater risk from sea level rise and coastal flooding.
- Ice sheets: Explore how ice loss in Antarctica and Greenland could impact different parts of the globe.
- Affordable housing: Explore how coastal flooding puts America’s already scarce affordable housing at risk.
Scale of Project
Target Climate Changes and Impacts
Type of Tool
Type of Adaptation Action/Strategy